Friday, November 4, 2011

Blog 11

For my paper I said that my audience would be parents of children or adults who were planning on have a baby in the future. When I was looking up magazines for parents, all I could find were articles about Baby Shower gifts, baby names, and which items had been recently recalled. I then thought of the fact that people, parents especially, spend their fair share of time in a doctor's office. This made me think that my article on genetic engineering could be in a medical or science magazine. That is when I found Discover Magazine.  In this magazine I did not find an article about the kind of genetic engineering that I want to focus on for my paper, but I did find one article.  It is called "10 Ways Genetically Engineered Microbes Could Help Humanity." http://discovermagazine.com/2008/sep/06-10-ways-genetically-engineered-microbes-could-help:

1.) The issue of the article is that with cheaper prices and more resources, scientists have been able to experiment with different viruses and bacteria to protect the body from diseases from Cancer and HIV and also to use as fuel replacements and clothing materials. 
2.) The authors' stance on the issue is that it is a great advancement in medicine and that it will only improve more in the future.  They also feel that it will help people all over the world through medical advances and materail and energy advances that can make things more affordable and overrall make the quality of like better for everyone. 
3.) The piece is organized into individual sections where each section described a certain advancement that had been made.  It was also split into larger sections of health and energy.  The authors showed their opinions from their tone and their diction. 
4.) I agree with the writers because the type of genetic engineering that they were talking about is not invasive and it is not playing God like when scientists change embryos.  They type of engineering is purely just a positive way to help the human race. 
5.) I liked that the writer split the article into separate sections to show just how many changes had been made.  One thing that I would have changed would be to add some direct opinions into the article and also to add some quotes from developers/scientists or people that are against science like this.
6.) Even though I liked the article, I do not think I would include many aspects that the writers did.  I will try to use a common diction to theirs, but I will not split it up like they did because that would not work with my topic.  I would also like to include a lot more narrative in my paper.  In the article, the writers just gave the facts of the developments, but I think you can affect readers more if you use some kind of pathos in a paper.  I will also include more statistical information in my paper.  The writers of the article gave fact, but no statistics so it is a weird way for them to try to convey an issue or new idea. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment