Thursday, October 6, 2011

Making my blog legen...wait for it

  My blog is one word...boring.  When I created the design of my blog, I did not know anything about blogs or this class.  For this reason, I picked one of the first backgrounds I saw.  I also chose a educational background because I did not know how serious the class would be.  Now that I have been in the class for a month a half I realize that my library book background and black text on white background is professional yet not appropriate.  It would be appropriate for the English Writing and Rhetoric classes that I took in high school, but this class is way more relaxed and chill.  This class is more about expressing yourself and not just following rules and I am not used to that.  The good this about the plain text and background though is that it is very easy to read.  Not only because I write very simplistically, but because as I said it is plain boring. 
     I feel that my blog does not express me as a writer or as a person.  It gets the job done of allowing me to write my opinions and get a grade on them, but it could not be more different from me.  Although I never talk in class, I am known for never shutting up outside of class.  My writing, for example the sarcastic tone I used in my personal narrative is very reflective of my personality because when I write I write exactly like I talk, opinions and all.  That is why my blog is functional yet not appropriate.  Reading my sassy opinions on life and literature does not work when the background is stacks of library books. 

......dary....

     When designing my new blog, I chose certain elements that I thought would better represent my personality.  Unlike my personality in class, my personality outside of class is very bubbly and bright and talkative.  That is why my blog is now red, blue, green, pink, and purple.  I also chose the flower background because I thought it was plain, but still very pretty.  I chose the fonts "Creamy Cherry Soda" and "Coming Soon" because they were both very youthful and fun, which is what I like to think of my personality.  Some websites that inspired me to pick my new design are Facebook and Duke Blue Planet.  I like these two websites for two different reasons.  I like Facebook because of its simplicity, and for the opposite reason, I like Duke Blue Planet because of its color and design.  It is a very crowded website full of videos and pictures and different headings, but somehow it still works. 
    The choices I made are meant to consciously contribute to my blog because they make the blog more personable and interesting.  Adding color to the blog makes it more fun and attracts readers to read my blog to see what I have to write about. It allows me to write about whatever I want, and to feel like I have creative freedom.  I feel like if this English 15 class was anything like my other classes this blog would not work well, but because this English class is all about writing for yourself like Anne Lamott said, it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment